If you break down the ways that every business operates, you will realise that it is all based on flows of information and content. We rely on data and information to make sales, pay bills, hire and onboard employees, manage their records and so much more. For as long as we can remember, businesses have operated on the same basic manual paper-laden processes which are now being challenged with new technology and regulations.
Effectively everything is becoming technology based and the amount of information that businesses are producing is growing rapidly. We are inundated with information of all types on a daily basis. Employees are having a hard time finding documents and information which they need in order to do their job effectively and some companies are paying more than they realise, to maintain their outdated business processes. More importantly, it is costing them valuable employee time and energy that could be used elsewhere.
So what can be done to address the elephant in the room?
The realisation of information chaos is still relatively new to some companies, however, below are some ways to address these issues:
- First, focus on the automation of your most manual business processes – accounts payable and human resources are usually perfect places to start.
- Map out those processes and focus on replicating the manual steps electronically.
- Encourage employees and clients to submit information in digital formats.
- Educate senior executives on Enterprise Content Management(ECM) software solutions that will serve as automation and repository tools.
- Focus on the sizeable return on investment (ROI) that ECM brings - most companies realise their full investment within the first 12-18 months.
The beauty of Konica Minolta’s ECM solutions is that they can integrate seamlessly with any ERP or line of business system. You can link content directly to screens on your ERP, therefore employees never need leave ERP. In fact, they may not even know that they are using a different solution – at times they believe it is a new feature which has been added to the existing ERP – it is seamless. This really helps with user adoption and makes it a very easy transition.
Konica Minolta strives to educate people on how these solutions can revolutionise their business and ultimately cut costs and save on time. This is the direction our society is moving in and we want to make sure no one is left behind.